Now, cupcake hats are not new but I only just jumped on the bandwagon. I tried making a few from other patterns but I ended up making my own.
So most of you who follow the blog or know me know I am a cupcake snob. Why waste money on a cheap grocery store cupcake when you can hit up a bakery or cupcakery for a work of culinary perfection. While my favorite cupcake spot did not win their battle on cupcake wars they are still #1 with me.
|simple perfection, moist chocolate cake and vanilla bean frosting|
What you need:
Aran weight yarn
(frosting, cake, and cherry)
Size I (5.5 mm) hook
Small amount of fiber fill
Cupcake (optional, for motivation)
chain 3 at start of each row, slip stitch to join each row
- 12 dc in a magic loop, pull loop tight
- Round 2: 2 dc in each st around
- Round 3: dc around
- Round 4: 2 dc in first st, * dc in next st, 2 dc in next st repeat from * around
- Round 5: dc around
- Round 6: 2 dc in first st, * dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st repeat from * around
- Round 7: dc around
- Round 8: 2 dc in first st, * dc in next 3 st, 2 dc in next st repeat from * around
- Round 9: dc around
- Round 10: 2 dc in first st, * dc in next 4 st, 2 dc in next st repeat from * around
- Rounds 11-12: dc around
- Round 13: start with chain one, *sc, skip 2, 6 tr (in one stitch) skip 2 repeat from * around
- break yarn leaving long tail for sewing
worked in a strip then sew together to form hat bottom
hdc across chain, chain 1 turn -13st
Work in blo work till strip is long enough to go around your head
Sew ends together to create a circle
Break yarn and weave in ends
Tuck cake under the frosting and sew on
Weave in ends.
You have options here. You could make a nice red pom pom or crochet a cherry.
Working in continuous rounds:
- Chain 2
- Round 1: work 6 sc in first chain
- Round 2: work 2 sc in each sc around - 12 st
- Round 3: sc 12
- Round 4: sc2tog around -6 st
- sew up end , break yarn leaving about 5 inches
- thread tail up the middle of the cherry and out the top, cut to desired stem length
I do crochet tightly so if you have problems with the size go down a hook size.
Enjoy your hat and your cupcake.
This pattern is for private use only. Do not distribute or publish this pattern in any other form. If you like this pattern and would like to share please link to this blog.