This hat was featured on the Moogly Blog Crochet Wig post
I finally have red hair! It should have been mine at birth (it always skips a generation), instead I got stuck with black. I can change that whenever I want now.
This hat will fit most teen/adult women. This hat is slightly slouchy so you can tuck your hair up into it. If you crochet loosely you may want to not do all the increase rounds.
What you need:
Red Heart Super Saver
(be sure you have a full or almost full skein)
Size I (5.5mm) hook
Clip to keep place
Wig head (optional but handy)
Work in continuous rounds
- Chain 3
- Round 1: work 12 dc into first chain -12 st
- Round 2: work 2 dc in each dc around - 24 st
- Round 3: *2 dc in next st, dc in next st, rep from * around - 36 st
- Round 4: *2 dc in next st, dc in each of next 2 sts, rep from * around - 48 st
- Round 5: *2 dc in next st, dc in each of next 3 sts, rep from * around - 60 st
- Round 6: *2 dc in next st, dc in each of next 4 sts, rep from * around - 72 st
- Round 7: *2 dc in next st, dc in each of next 5 sts, rep from * around - 84 st
- Round 8-13: dc in each dc around - 84 st
- Round 14: *sc2tog, sc in each of next 5 sts, rep from * around - 72 st
- Round 15: sc in each sc around - 72 st
- Finish off with a slip stitch and leave tail of about 18 inches of yarn
Here is where you are going to use up a lot of yarn.
Bangs: Cut 32 pieces of yarn about 8-12 inches long
Hair: Cut 56 pieces of yarn 36-72 inches long
Starting at the back of your hat and working forward slip knot each long strand of yarn in a sc.
I worked outward from the back adding strands to each side till I had an even amount on each side.
The bangs will be 16 stitches wide in the center front. Repeat the process of adding hair but use double short lengths in each stitch.
It will kind of look like Cousin It.
Slip your hat on a wig head or head proximally. I pinned it in place with some sewing pins.
Trim the bangs to the desired length.
You can leave the hair down or you could braid it like I did.
Do not distribute or publish this pattern in any other form.
If you like this pattern and would like to share please link to this blog.